A Damaged Passport Can Hurt Your Travel Plans


If you are planning an international trip and your passport’s condition is questionable, you may want to have it replaced. You do not want to be stuck in a foreign country unable to prove your American citizenship, and this may very well happen with a damaged passport. You should take precautions in order to prevent any unnecessary mishaps while traveling internationally.

Department Of State

In order to have your U.S. passport replacement, you have to fill out a DS-11 form. You can get this form from the Department of State online. You can actually fill in your information and print out the finished product. You will have five days from the date on your application to officially submit your paperwork to the Department of State. If you cannot do this within the five days, that particular application will no longer be valid.

Regional Agency

Make sure NOT to sign the form until you at the regional new passport agency near your city in front of an official or at an Acceptance Agency with the agent’s go-ahead. It will be considered null and void if signed without an official witness. Once you have printed out this form, be aware it is only good for five business days after the date you filled it in.

Detailed Information

The DS-64 is another official document that has to be filled out. This is an official statement to verify why and how your passport became damaged. You will have to provide detailed information as to what caused your passport’s damage.

Citizenship Proof

Also make sure to prepare evidence of U. S. Citizenship. You can do so by providing a U. S. birth certificate or a certificate of naturalization or citizenship from the USCIS. You will need two color photos that are in a 2 inch x 2 inch format with a clear, white background. This photo should not have been taken more than six months ago.

Travel Itinerary

If you are traveling within 14 days and need an expedited passport you will have to provide proof of travel, such as an airline ticket or a travel itinerary. The State Department requires a processing fee of $135.00. This can be paid with a check, money order, or if visiting a regional passport agency directly you may use your Visa or MasterCard. If using a check or money order it must be made out to the U. S. Department of State. Other fees may be applicable depending on your circumstances.

Valid Identity

If you have damaged your passport while outside of the United States, you will have to visit the U. S. Embassy or Consulate in the country you are in. You will still have to provide the DS-11 and DS-62 forms (although some questions may not be applicable in your situation), as well as other documents validating identity.


Other passport documentation you will have to provide is verification of US nationality, two standard pass port photos, current ID, social security number; and your damaged passport has to be present so it can be taken in turn for a replacement. In order to safeguard yourself from accidents make sure you copy all of your paperwork that you submit. Don’t forget, you can also get expedited US passport services if you need a passport ASAP.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
Tags: , , ,

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>