Diving Into The Passport Application Process


Much like anything governmental, you can find forms and usually a few different varieties. With regards to passports, there are some different varieties and choosing the suitable passport application may possibly depend upon a wide range of elements. Here are some guidelines to help you define which form is going to be correct for your needs.

DS-11 Application Form

The Typical DS-11 American passport application forms are the correct forms for first time applicants. Standard DS-11 form gives the guidelines and information correctly submitting necessary pieces of information and basic information regarding the individual applying. For initial period applicants, whether adults and minors, this form will direct the applicant to any other documents or information necessary to complete the application form process.

To ensure that an existing passport to be renewed, a DS-82 form must be completed. Similar information will likely be asked for on a form that already exists on the original passport as a means of confirming that the passport holder hasn’t changed information since its initial date of issue. This is a typical form and also the original passport must be submitted with this particular form to become processed.

Lost Or Stolen Passport?

A lost or stolen passport demands filing two forms, the DS-11 and the DS-64. The DS-11, as mentioned earlier, may be the actual application and the DS-64 is really a report as to how and when the original passport was discovered to be missing. These both need to be filled out completely and sent in for the issuing agency to record the loss properly, if the old passport resurface at some point. If the old passport is found after the replacement is issued, it will need to become sent in to be cancelled properly and will be returned to the passport holder.

Update You Contact Details

In order to update contact details or change a name on an existing passport, a DS-5504 form must be completed. The actual passport holder must return the old passport using the completed DS-5504. Documentation substantiating the changed information should be provided, such as a court document verifying name change or a certified copy of a marriage certificate.

A DS-4085 is a form needed to add pages to an existing passport. This form has to be completely completed and sent in using the original passport. In order to qualify to have new pages added, the original passport must contain 2, 3 or 4 unused pages. The agency that issued the original passport will not honor the request if the original passport has more pages than that.

Several common items go along with many of the passport applications. The first is the requirement for the majority of these to have new photos accompany them for processing. Make sure to have the pictures taken by someone well versed with what the federal government requires for passport photos.

Passport Services On The Web

Whenever unsure regarding which pass port application to complete, conduct an Internet search. The government and other passport service organizations have Web web sites which have more information regarding the entire passport process from application to passport renewal. For added convenience, these sites contain links to all required documents.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>