Find Out What Forms You Need For A New Passport


Whatever type of passport-related transaction you’ll do – applying for a new USA passport, American passport renewal, applying for a passport card – it pays to know what you need to do even before you visit the passport office. Doing this is surely a time saver. Imagine how much time you’ll save if you know what you need to do next.

First Time

In this article, we’ll show you how to get a passport for the first time, renew your expired passport, as well as apply for a US pasport pages. We’ll keep these tips simple and straightforward to prevent you from getting confused any further. Ready? Read on.


First, let’s deal with those applying for passports for the first time. If you’ve never had a passport before, then you will be required to fill in the DS-11 form. Your requirements don’t stop here, of course. You will also have to submit other pieces of information for your passport application.

Citizenship Proof

Anyone applying for a passport for the first time should establish his/her American citizenship. There are particular documents you can submit to do this, such as your birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, or a consular report on your birth if you were born abroad. You may submit any of these documents for your passport application. They will then be returned to you once you receive your passport, although they may be mailed separately.

Submission Options

When submitting your passport application in person, you will be required to present your ID at the passport office. Also have that ID photocopied and submit it with the other requirements. Then you also need two color passport photos attached to your documents. Once you have fulfilled all the requirements, you have to pay the applicable fees.

Form DS-82

From first time passport applications, we move on to American passport renewals. You need to renew your passport as soon as it expires, and as soon as you need it. To renew your expired passport, you have to accomplish and mail Form DS-82. However, if you are currently based abroad, you could also send it to your nearest US embassy and consulate. They will then handle the renewal of your passport.

Passport Card

Then finally, there’s the passport card. A passport card is a more convenient option to having a passport book, although applying for both are recommended. You can use your passport card in areas that are covered by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). WHTI areas are: Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, and Mexico. Fill in the DS-82 if you already have the passport book, and then submit the form by mail. However, you need to fill in the DS-11 if you are not eligible for the mailing option, and then submit your form in person.

Two Forms

All in all, there are basically only two passport forms you need to keep in mind when applying for a new U.S. passport. When you’re getting a passport for the first time, you will be required to submit the DS-11 form and the other requirements, and then submit it in person. Meanwhile, if you’re renewing your pass port, you can simply fill in the DS-82 form then send it by mail. The same rule goes for first time passport card applications, as well as those who haven’t had any passports before.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
Tags: , , , , , ,

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>