Learn How to Deal With A Lost Passport


You need to act swiftly if you lose your passport or if it is stolen from you. The reason for this is that your lost or stolen U.S. passport contains sensitive personal information, such as your full name, birth date and address. Acting swiftly will prevent identity thieves from being able to perpetrate criminal activities in your name. In this article, we’ll be showing you exactly what you need to do when your passport has been Lost or stolen.

Department Of State

Once you realize you have Lost your passport, give the US Department of State a call immediately. Alternatively, you could also send them a form that reports the loss of your passport. Calling their office is fast and convenient. However, you might not be able to contact them especially during weekends and federal holidays. So what you need to do then is to send your report by mail.

Mail Submission

Sending your report by mail requires you to fill in Form DS-64. This form will contain your statement regarding your Lost passport. Because of this, you need to be thorough and accurate when filling in the items in this form. Make sure you don’t leave any important item unanswered before submitting this paperwork.

Form DS-64

Once you are done filling in the DS-64, you will have to submit it. You have the option of sending it through the mail or submitting it in person. A personal appearance is required should you decide to submit this form along with your application for a new passport.


If you’re going to submit an application for an expedited US passport, you’ll need to fill in the Form DS-11. It is worth noting that you can already download both forms at the US Department of State’s website. You can fill in the form first on your computer then print it out, or print it out first then fill it in by hand later.


Keep in mind that once your passport was reported Lost or stolen, it is automatically invalidated. This is a measure done to prevent identity theft, since as mentioned earlier, your passport contains some of your sensitive personal information. Once your USA passport is invalidated, you cannot request its revalidation. You will need to apply for a new passport.

Foreign Country

Should your passport be stolen while you’re on a trip to a foreign country, you should act even quicker to have it reported. To do this, you need to contact the nearest US Passport office or Embassy. The people there will then do everything to help you have your Lost passport replaced.

Passport Agency

When dealing with a lost pasport, what’s important is that you should report it to the American passport agency immediately. The sooner it is invalidated, the fewer chances it can be used by criminals for identity theft. So act quickly and stop potential problems in their tracks.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
Tags: , , , , , , ,

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>