Learn How To Receive A Passport For Infants

kids on plane

Getting a babies passport is not as easy as getting one for an adult. The laws are very strict due to incidents of a children being kidnapped and taken to another country by one of the parents. All children are considered a minor if they are under the age of eighteen and unmarried, and all, including newborns and infants, are required to have passports to travel in and out of the country.

No passport will be issued for a child unless they appear in person when the application is made. Their parents or an authorized representative must accompany them. The application can only be made to an acceptance agent who is located in a post office, county or municipal clerk’s office. All children must have a passport, regardless of age.

If a child is born to United States citizens while vacationing or living abroad they must ask for a passport at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in that country. They face the same requirements as if they were applying in the United States. They must show proof of their citizenship and comply with the two-parent consent law.

Because of some well publicized instances of child abduction by unauthorized parents, a law was passed in 2001 called the two-parent consent law. Under this law, both parents or guardians must sign for a child to receive this document. They both must present proof that they are the actual parents. Under some circumstances, there are other arrangements.

If one parent is applying, they have to present applicable evidence to show that they have legal rights to apply for the passport on the part of the child. There are a number of exceptions to the law that can be applied. At the time of application, the child’s birth certificate must be shown, as well as photo identification of the parent.

Children under the ages of 16 and 17 must be present to apply for a passport; they cannot apply over the Internet. They must be accompanied by one or both parents and the same two-parent law is enacted. If they are adopted, the adoptive parents must bring proof of guardianship. Guardians such as grandparents are allowed to sign, but only if they have the papers to prove it.

The law is quite specific when there is a custody problem with children. A state court has the authority to take and hold a child’s passport if there is a threat that they might be removed from the country. In addition, a parent may request an Alert Program to inform them if any application is made for a passport for the child.

Documents required by the acceptance agent are: original or certified copy of child’s birth certificate or naturalization papers; parent’s identification such as a driver’s license; two of the child’s pictures, taken by a pasports photographer; and proof of parents or legal guardian’s relationship. Getting an expedited child passport is a little more complicated than for an adult, but with the right documentation things should go smoothly.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>