Learn How To Get A USA Passport Name Change


Learning how to get a passport name change is important if you want your passport to reflect the change in your name since your most recent passport. A name change applies when you get married (and have taken on a different surname), or your name has changed through a court order. In both instances, you will have to go through the passport office for this New Passport Name Change.

Legally Changed

You have two ways about getting your passport name changed if your name was changed legally (due to marriage or court order). What option is available to you is determined by the time when your latest passport was issued. Once you’ve determined that, you will need to submit the necessary documents that each option requires.

First Type

Now let’s talk about the first type of procedure. In case your passport was issued over a year ago, you are required to apply for a new one by mail. There are several requirements that will enable you to do this. The following requirements are: your current passport, two recent color photographs of yourself, the DS-82 form that you have filled in, plus the original or at least a certified copy of the legal document that proves your name change. Depending on your case, it will either be your marriage contract or the court order on your change of name. Also, you will be required to pay a certain fee for this type of procedure.

Issue Time

Now what if your passport was issued within one year? You will have to fulfill a slightly different set of requirements in that case. These requirements are: your latest passport, two recent photos, the supporting legal documents such as the ones mentioned in the last paragraph, and the DS-5504 form for your expedited United States passport name change.

Application Fee

You don’t have to pay any fee if you’re applying for a passport name change if your passport is only a year old. However, there will be an applicable fee should you choose to have your application expedited. This is recommended to anyone who needs to leave the country in less than 10 weeks. So if this situation applies to you, have it expedited.

Legal Documents

However, there are cases when you cannot legally document your name change, yet wish to have your name in your passport changed. If this sounds like your current situation, then there’s a remedy to that. All you need to do is to submit your latest valid passport, two color photos, your completed New Passport application form or the DS-11, and pay the applicable fees. Aside from that, you will also need to provide three public records with your date and place of birth that indicates the exclusive use of your new name for a minimum of five years.

Form DS-11

Since you are filling in form DS-11, you will be required to submit in person the last set of requirements we mentioned. It therefore pays to ensure that you have all the requirements ready before going to the passport agency or acceptance facility nearest you. Doing this will help you save a lot of time.


If you want to know how to get a Pass port Name Change, it’s simple and straightforward. First, you’ll have to determine the age of your Passport Application, as well as the legal documents that you have with you. Once you have those, choose the appropriate procedure that suits you and proceed from there.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
Tags: , , , , , , ,

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>