Passport Name Change Application – It’s Not A Difficult Thing To Do


If you are a passport holder who has recently changed your name because you either got married or because of a court order, then you’ll need to have a passport name change. This is the kind of procedure you need to go through so that your new name will be reflected on your passport. In this article, we’ll show you the options that you have to get a United States passport name change.

Personal Details

Before you apply for a passport name change, you first need to verify when your passport was issued. That’s because the type of procedure you’ll follow will depend on the date of issuance of your passport. To verify the date, all you need to do is check your passport where your personal details are found.

Issue Date

From there, let’s discuss your first option. If your United States passport was issued less than a year ago, you will have to fulfill the following requirements: your current and valid passport, two recent color passport photos, and the legal documents that prove your name change. These documents are either your marriage contract or a court order. In addition to these, will also need to accomplish Form DS-5504, which is used when applying for a passport name change.

Expedite Process

Keep in mind that there are no fees to have your passport processed if it is less than a year old. However, there will be applicable fees should you decide to have the process expedited. Expediting your passport application can cut your waiting time from four to six weeks in routine processing to just two to three weeks. So if you need to have your passport sooner than later, then have your passport name change expedited.


Now let’s talk about the other option you have. If your passport was issued more than a year ago, here are the things you need to submit: your current and valid passport, two recent color passport photos, the legal document that shows your change of name (again, your marriage contract or a court order). You will notice that these are basically the same documents required in the first option.

Mail Submission

However, instead of the DS-5504, you will submit form DS-82. This is the form that you use when applying for a passport application by mail. Also, you will need to pay the applicable fees to have your expedited pasport processed.

Legal Documents

There are instances where applicants cannot legally document their name change. If this situation applies to you, then you will be required to submit the following documents: your current and valid passport, 2 recent color passport photos, the completed Form DS-11, plus the applicable fees. On top of those requirements, you will also have to submit three public records that show your date and place of birth and that indicates the exclusive use of your new name for at least five years. Once you have accomplished these requirements, you will then need to submit them in person to your nearest passport office.

Available Options

When applying for a us passport name change, the ones we discussed above are the options available to you. Just make sure you are aware of the considerations you need such as the date when your American passport was issued, and the legal documents that show your name has changed. Once you have determined them, you’ll then know what kind of option you have to choose.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
Tags: , , , ,

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>