A Stolen U. S. Passport Does Not Have To Ruin Your Travel

Stolen U.S. Passport

Just the thought of a stolen U. S. Passport can be a devastating. Whether from your home or while you are on vacation overseas, it does not have to impact your travel. Depending on where it was stolen, there are steps that you need to take to remedy this situation.

If Stolen During Travel

If the theft occurred over seas during your travel, you will want to contact the U. S. Embassy or Consulate office closest to you. In fact, having that contact information with you when you travel, regardless of the circumstances, is a good idea. You don’t want to have to be looking for information or someone to assist you when you’ve been impacted by a problem of any sort. You can find a listing of all websites of these locations, by region and country, online.

Passport Status

You need to know the status of your passport to ensure it was valid when the theft occurred. This can be done online and you only need a minimum amount of information. You will need to provide your last name, including any suffixes or hyphens. You also need your date of birth and the last four numbers of your social security number.

Invalid Passports

If your passport isn’t valid, it will still have to be reported but you will want to apply for another one. If that is the case, you can also check the status of your application approximately five to seven days after application is made.

If Stolen In U.S.

If the theft occurred in the United States, report it by calling the toll free number provided by the U. S. State Department. Operators are available during regular governmental business hours. Automated information, however, is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They are also available should you prefer to email which is answered within 24 hours. If you have an emergency while you’re traveling however, you are going to need to telephone. Once it is reported, it will no longer be usable.

Form DS-64

If you are not looking for a replacement, you can file Form DS-64. This needs to be mailed to the U. S. State Department in Washington, D. C. The information contained on that form will be entered into their system. If your document is later returned to you, you still need to mail it to the same address as Form DS-64. You can request that the stop order be cancelled, in which case they will return it to you. Otherwise it will be destroyed.

If you want to replace your documents, and chances are you that you will want a replacement, there are forms that you are going to need to submit in person. This can be done at any passport agency or an acceptance facility. You will have to provide the DS-64 as well as the DS-11, the same application that was needed to obtain your original document.  There are also forms for expedited American passport replacement

Don’t let a stolen U. S. Passport ruin your travel. A little effort on the US passport application is all that it will take to get you back in the air and on your way to your destination.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
Tags: , , , , , ,

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>